I'm writing this blog to keep my friends and family updated on my culinary adventures in China. Besides just talking about me, I promise to keep you all updated on important world happenings, like who is the hottest commie in China, whether Batman really can beat Superman without using kryptonite, and if the USA will ever be the same without me. And then we'll talk food. Lots of food.

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Ice Cream

I don't crave Western food often. There are a couple of things that when mentioned, make my mouth water--cheese and Almond M&Ms. For a while I was craving popcorn, but my mom brought several bags from the States and the craving suddenly disappeared. I haven't actually eaten any yet, but I'll get to it...

Tonight Sarah's friend, Huang Jie treated us to a sundae at Haagendaz. I didn't realize how much I missed eating ice cream until Sarah invited me along last night. I've been thinking about it ever since I woke up this morning.

Haagendaz is one of the swankiest joints in town. The inside has the appearance of a Seattle-style coffee house, with dark lighting and comfortable chairs. I'd heard that Haagendaz was expensive and was only a place to take your date, but I'd never been there myself.

It turns out the rumors are all true, the place is expensive ($10 banana split!?) and full of young couples. Sarah, her friends and myself sat on a set of couches in the far corner. Being the guests, we were asked to order first. The problem was that everything on the menu was in the US $10 range, and we both felt guilty ordering what we wanted. We hemmed and hawed and argued for a bit until succeeded in making everyone else order first. Taking our cues from them, we ordered a banana split and a dulce de leche sundae. Mmmmmm...

I've been slowly coming up with a list of foods I want to eat upon return to the States. We've all talked amongst ourselves about what we want to eat as our first meal back at home. I think I'm going to revise mine. Mom, Dad: I'd like a homemade ice cream sundae with whip cream, chocolate sauce and cherries. Add that to the Thanksgiving dinner, pizza, spaghetti, lasagna, carne asada, caesar salad, cold cereal, block of cheese, apple pie...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home