I'm writing this blog to keep my friends and family updated on my culinary adventures in China. Besides just talking about me, I promise to keep you all updated on important world happenings, like who is the hottest commie in China, whether Batman really can beat Superman without using kryptonite, and if the USA will ever be the same without me. And then we'll talk food. Lots of food.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

It's Sunday!

Ordering food at a restaurant is the challenge of a lifetime. I try to go to restaurants that have pictures, or at least a menu written in romanized Chinese. Even with the odds working for you, you can still have problems.

For lunch today I found a restaurant with pictures and ordered what I thought were short ribs. When my food arrived, I realized that what I recieved were not ribs, but thick, fatty pieces of ham. Ham hock ham. Although I don't have a problem with this kind of meat, it just doesn't suit my tastes. And besides that, there were a couple of ham hock hairs to contend with.

I pushed the offending meat to the side of my plate, and not more than three minutes later a waitress came by to ask why I wasn't eating it. She asked if I thought it was too greasy, and then apologized and asked if I wanted something else. I was stunned! This was the absolute BEST customer service I have ever recieved in China. These people were awesome. They continued to refill my tea, they offered to replace my meal (there was really nothing wrong with it), they even gave us a discount for the trouble!

I wish my Chinese was better, I would love to tell them just how I felt...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home